Welcome to my blog

Hello visitors. On my blog I'm talking about my books, but also about what I'm currently working on and, maybe, some other stuff. Browse through my posts and don't forget to check out my older posts in the archives. If you are interested in my books, please, visit my website Fictitious Tales for more information and a few excerpts. Also, take a look at my second blog Herbert Grosshans, where I talk about fun-stuff and things that concern me.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

After Author Day

I successfully survived my Author Day. It went well. I gave away quite a few copies of my book ‘Daughter of the Dark’ to the winners of my contests. There were not as many visitors as I would have liked, but the ones who came took an interest in my writings.
I finally finished my short story (15K) ‘The Kiir’ for the digest ‘Launch the Raunch’ and sent it in and I have written about two thousand words for my next short story ‘A Taste of Paradise’.
Some writers plan their story from beginning to end before they start writing it. Scenes and characters are in place and the story just needs to be fleshed out. I found out, again, that it doesn’t really work for me. I had this story already in my head, all mapped out, but as I started to write it and the characters (so far only two main characters) and the setting came alive, it began to go its own way. It was supposed to be an adventure/love story. Not anymore. The mood is totally different and it looks like it is going to be a gothic-type story. I’m not sure yet. We’ll see where the characters want to go. Sounds crazy, doesn’t it, but that’s the way it works. That is what makes writing so interesting and exciting. Like reading a book, almost. I could never be a ‘formula writer’. I have to follow the flow, wherever it leads me.
Maybe I’ll take my other idea and write that story some other time. I just have to find a different beginning.
I noticed quite some activity on my blog this last week. 76 visitors. I hope everyone who visits me takes something away with them. Hello everyone and thanks for stopping by. Come again.

No comments: