Welcome to my blog

Hello visitors. On my blog I'm talking about my books, but also about what I'm currently working on and, maybe, some other stuff. Browse through my posts and don't forget to check out my older posts in the archives. If you are interested in my books, please, visit my website Fictitious Tales for more information and a few excerpts. Also, take a look at my second blog Herbert Grosshans, where I talk about fun-stuff and things that concern me.

Monday, February 18, 2013

The Published Writer

I took the plunge today and did something I've been thinking about for some time. I wanted to make the first book in my Xandra series 'Daughter of the Dark' available for free on Amazon for a short period of time, but they only do that with books that are in the KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) program. So I wrote a book. A book on how to become a published writer, and I entered it in the KDP Select program. I'm not quite sure about this, but the way I understood from their terms, it will be available for free for 5 days; after that it will sell for US $2.99. But it will also be available for readers to borrow it from their library. I still get paid for every book readers borrow. Not a bad thing. And it will be available everywhere in the world where Amazon has sites. We'll see how it goes.

It is not that complicated to publish with Amazon. I wrote the book in Word first, then I followed Amazon's instructions and saved in in their requested format. The first time is always the most difficult. Now I know what to expect and the next time will be easier and won't take that much time.

I designed the cover myself using the publisher in my Word program. I'm quite happy with it. Unfortunately, when people download it to their Kindle, it will be in black and white, actually, in 16 shades of gray.

The book won't be available for at least 12 hours, perhaps even longer. I'm not sure about the cover and the picture of me on the last page. They may take longer to appear.

Anyway, here is the cover I designed:


No comments: