Welcome to my blog

Hello visitors. On my blog I'm talking about my books, but also about what I'm currently working on and, maybe, some other stuff. Browse through my posts and don't forget to check out my older posts in the archives. If you are interested in my books, please, visit my website Fictitious Tales for more information and a few excerpts. Also, take a look at my second blog Herbert Grosshans, where I talk about fun-stuff and things that concern me.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Tenants in the garden

We have a number of Tamarack trees in our yard. They look like spruce trees but they are not conifers. Their leaves look like the needles of a spruce tree. Like all leaf trees they lose their leaves in the Fall and become bare. People who don't know this assume these trees are dead, but they are not. The leaves come back in the Spring. This last fall I discovered a huge wasp nest in one of the trees. It must have been there for some time already. I can't believe the wasps could build a huge nest like this in just one Summer. The nest looks abandoned and I hope it is. We used to have lots of wasps in the yard, but last year only a few. I find wasps interesting. Bees too. I wrote about giant bees in my SF trilogy Lizard World. They lived in their hives under huge mushroom trees. Anyone who read the books will know this. If you haven't read them yet, do so. Here is a picture of the nest.

No comments: