Welcome to my blog

Hello visitors. On my blog I'm talking about my books, but also about what I'm currently working on and, maybe, some other stuff. Browse through my posts and don't forget to check out my older posts in the archives. If you are interested in my books, please, visit my website Fictitious Tales for more information and a few excerpts. Also, take a look at my second blog Herbert Grosshans, where I talk about fun-stuff and things that concern me.

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Folklorama

Folklorama, the world's largest and longest-running multicultural festival, is on again, like every year, from August 1st to August 14th in Winnipeg. With 45 pavilions they are expecting about 425,000 visitors. We used to go more often, but now we like to get in maybe a couple shows, perhaps three. We, of course, like the shows and also the food. We usually go for supper and then watch the show. Years ago we used to try to get in three shows a night, but that is too much because you have to rush to get from one place to another, since the pavilions are spread across the city. And most of the time you have to stand in line to get in. You can’t really enjoy the pavilions. Now we go to one a night. If the pavilions are close together, we might make it to two of them, but I like to sample the different foods, so one show a night is better.
We wouldn’t mind going to more pavilions, but it costs $6.00 to get into one pavilion. Then if you want to eat something (the food is not cheap for what you get), then it gets expensive. In my opinion, if they wouldn’t charge so much to get in then people may go to more shows and maybe spend more money inside.
They sell passports 12 pavilions for the price of 9, $54.00. That helps a little, but we don’t really want to go to 12 pavilions. We’ve seen most of them and in reality it is pretty much the same every year. There are some new ones once in a while; we like to check them out. The new ones this year are the Sudanese pavilion, the Ethiopian pavilion, and the Dakota Ojibway Tribal Council pavilion. We haven’t made up our mind yet which ones we’ll be going to, we are leaning toward one of the more exotic pavilions. We’ll see.



Click here to get your travel guide.

1 comment:

Don said...

Hope you don't have to wait too long to get in. The(3)pavilions near us have real long lines. We haven't been in years but it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Gimli would have been nice. Hope to make it there this year sometime. Sounds like you're having a great summer. Still wonder where did June and July go?