Welcome to my blog

Hello visitors. On my blog I'm talking about my books, but also about what I'm currently working on and, maybe, some other stuff. Browse through my posts and don't forget to check out my older posts in the archives. If you are interested in my books, please, visit my website Fictitious Tales for more information and a few excerpts. Also, take a look at my second blog Herbert Grosshans, where I talk about fun-stuff and things that concern me.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Traveling around the world in ten years

Last night on the news they showed this Canadian guy who took a trip around the world. It took him ten years. He just landed in Vancouver and is on his way home to Montreal…still walking. He only took a ship to cross the Pacific Ocean from Australia. I don’t remember what cause he claimed as a reason for this venture and actually I don’t care to know. The news announcer ended with the word ‘Wow’.
I guess people will call the man a hero and an adventurer. I have a different opinion. He’s no hero. He left his wife alone for ten years…to tend for herself all those ten lonely years. Both are ten years older. You can never get back those years. I’m surprised she didn’t divorce him.
Years ago I was listening to one of those Evangelists on the radio. He told the story about a man who went to Africa to do missionary work, leaving his family and five children. “When the Lord calls you to do his work you go, even if it means to leave your family and friends behind. The Lord will take care of them,” the Evangelist said.
And I thought, “Holy crap! What a bunch of B.S.” If you really want to do the Lord’s work you take care of your family. Family always comes first…even before God. Sounds like blasphemy? In my opinion if you turn your back on your family you turn your back on God. What a copout to leave your five children without a father to take care of them if they become a burden!
To come back to the world traveler…had he not been married I would have said, “What an adventure,” but now I can’t. I don’t know where he got the money for food and lodging during those ten years. I suppose he worked once in awhile, but most of the time he depended on the charity of strangers. Of course, now he’ll probably write a book; it will become a bestseller, because people are suckers for those kinds of stories, and he won’t have to work for the rest of his life. Maybe traveling around the world is not such a bad idea. Hmmm…

No comments: