Welcome to my blog

Hello visitors. On my blog I'm talking about my books, but also about what I'm currently working on and, maybe, some other stuff. Browse through my posts and don't forget to check out my older posts in the archives. If you are interested in my books, please, visit my website Fictitious Tales for more information and a few excerpts. Also, take a look at my second blog Herbert Grosshans, where I talk about fun-stuff and things that concern me.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

About Numbers

Woke up at 4:34, 6:36, 7:37. Sometimes I wake up at 2:22 and 4:44. What do these numbers mean? Maybe nothing. Maybe something. Who knows? Very mysterious. Maybe I should write a story about secret numbers. The Universe is made up of numbers. The letters we write on our keyboard are in reality nothing but numbers in the computer. Everything can be broken down into numbers. Even though we give every day a name, like Monday, Tuesday, they are basically only numbers. The number of the day in a week, a month, even a year. Today is the 21st day of September, the 9th month of the year, the 264th day of 2011. In 94 days it will be Christmas. In 102 days it will be the year 2012. It takes 9 minutes for the light from the sun to reach our planet, and 4.3 years to reach Alpha Centauri. Tyrannosaurus Rex walked the Earth 70 million years ago, that's about 25,550,000,000 days. What a long string of numbers. We can not even comprehend such numbers.
Numbers are important. We use them to measure distance, weights, amounts, speed, time. Numbers mean order. "I am the first. I am the second. I am the last." Without numbers there would be chaos. No way to measure anything, except maybe to say, "Give me a handful of money and I'll give you 'so many' handfuls of apples." or "I'll see you when the moon is full again."
That still doesn't explain why I wake up at such unusual times. Questions, questions...

No comments: